Re: Re: Satellite Times Gone

I can't agree more with Richard. Spaceflight is a top-notch
publication. It is *very* different than Satellite Times, in
that it a cross between a trade publication and an academic one
-- you can expect to find articles on the origins of various
Russian launcher programs, graves of Russian and American
astronauts, reviews of conferences and forums -- and almost
anything in between.

The 'standard' membership is ~$70, if I'm not mistaken (haven't
gotten my renewal form yet). They also have a great catalog of
videotapes, although they are in PAL format only.

JBIS is an academic tome, with each issue being on a specific
subject. You certainly can get by purchasing the issues you want
(they are listed monthly in Spaceflight ).

A great publication, well worth your hard earned wages.

Enjoy!

Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC
w3dq@amsat.org

At 22:13 9/4/98 GMT, Richard W L Limebear wrote:
>Hi guys
>
>ka8qcu@juno.com writes:
>
>(snip)
>> I used to buy a magazine
>> called Spaceflight ( I think it was put out by the British
Interplanetary
>> Society) but have not seen it in any book stores for a couple
of years.

>Spaceflight is still around monthly; you get it free if you are
a member
>of the British Interplanetary Society.
>
>Fellowship fees are UK pounds 58 (US$107) per annum including
one only
>publication: either Spaceflight *or* JBIS Monthly (extra pounds
33 or
>$61 to receive both). Reduction of pounds 15 ($27) if you're
aged over 65.
>Their subscription year starts in January. Because the BIS is a
recognised
>charity, in the UK the subscription is tax-deductable, this
could also
>apply overseas.
>
>(I get Spaceflight - not sure whats in JBIS but it sounds a bit more
>professionally orientated)
>
>You get Fellowship (allows you to put FBIS after your name)
after about
>five years of membership. Fees for ordinary membership may be
different
>but I don't know what they are. Probably the BIS web site will
have the
>information; the web address given on their form doesn't look
quite right:
> http://freespace.virgin.net/bis.bis/Bis.htm  (YMMV - try
putting a www
bis.bis@virgin.net