Re: North Korea satellite launch?

This subject was much discussed on the Visual Observer's mailing
list today.

Consensus on that list is that no orbiting satellite was
launched. The fact that OIG at NASA does not have any new
objects cataloged (as of moments ago when I checked) would
corroborate this conclusion.

Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC
w3dq@amsat.org

At 21:29 9/4/98 -0500, Andrew Reynolds wrote:

>On Fri, 4 Sep 1998, Michael Herr wrote:
>
>> I just heard that there was a possible North Korea launch of
a satellite on
>> board an indigenous rocket back on August 31.  Radio
transmissions are
>> reporded around 27MHz. Has anyone actually heard the "bird" ,
keps or
>> confirmed reports?
>> 73
>> Mike WA6ARA
>>
>Mike,
> I read this in the morning Reuter's feed off Yahoo. Was
planning on going
>out to see if there are any new object for that date in the
NORAD eles
>list, but not too sure that they'd have it out yet. I've heard
that some
>times it can take a few days for objects to get into their database,
>but, then again, given the nature of the launching country, this one
>might be an exception......
> In practice, a small (say, Sputnik or microsat sized)
satellite could