Re: North Korea satellite launch?

On Fri, 4 Sep 1998, Michael Herr wrote:

> I just heard that there was a possible North Korea launch of a satellite on
> board an indigenous rocket back on August 31.  Radio transmissions are
> reporded around 27MHz. Has anyone actually heard the "bird" , keps or
> confirmed reports?
> 73
> Mike WA6ARA

Mike,
 I read this in the morning Reuter's feed off Yahoo. Was planning on going
out to see if there are any new object for that date in the NORAD eles
list, but not too sure that they'd have it out yet. I've heard that some
times it can take a few days for objects to get into their database,
but, then again, given the nature of the launching country, this one
might be an exception......
 In practice, a small (say, Sputnik or microsat sized) satellite could
be orbited by a missile in the IRBM range (the Thor, which went on to
found the Delta family of launchers) did good service in the early US
space program with many small (and not so, with later improvements)
satellties orbited. So, given North Korea's work on missiles with the
600-900 mile range, they just might have done the trick.

Later,
Andy
WD9IYT