Re: Chit-chat on AO-27 [Was: FN45 on AO-27] -Resposta

    I have this question: What do you mean by "I can take out the
    interferencing 2 meter Mexican terrestrial stations easily with..."?
    Doesn't your country stations interfere too, or aren't the Mexicans
    allowed to use the bird? By the way, does anyone know why is this
    satellite turned off over the southern hemisphere?

    Please don't take me wrong, sometimes my poor english looks rough.

My Spanish is much worse, so i can't tell what they're talking about...
We do have amateurs from Mexico who come up on AO-27 from time to time
(and they are definitely sought-after stations).  What we hear sounds
like ordinary conversation, as you'd hear on a local repeater, and so
i don't think they're even aware that they're being heard outside of
their local neighborhood.  I've never heard a callsign, so i presume
they are unlicensed.  I've gotten to learn what they usually sound
like and don't mind talking over them, but less experienced operators
on AO-27 may politely try to wait until a break in their conversation
to reply.

A local ATV station operating continuously somewhere near 433 MHz
across the Bay from my home QTH had caused me much more grief than
anything from across a border.  And there are a number of these on
that channel across the Unites States according to a WWW search i did
the other day.

We have a different set of problems in the United States and Canada
with out-of-band operations, and fortunately (other than the localized
ATV problem), this generally hasn't affected AO-27.  But, yes, we do
very occasionally hear amateurs unintentionally operating voice in the
satellite sub-band, but they usually get the message fairly quickly.
For awhile, we had a problem with packet stations in that sub-band,
which did affect AO-27, and that took longer to correct.  And sometimes
that's just the fact of sharing spectrum with a PACSAT.

    "A closed mouth gathers no feet."

I do apologize for any poor choice of words here or of using idioms
which were unfortunate in this context; no offense or prejudice was at
all intended!  I should be better with *my* English skills from time
to time.  I do suffer from "foot-in-mouth disease" more often than i'd
like...

I did replay that particular pass [taping is a really good idea if
you're operating with a hand-held antenna] and i don't think that pass
was as bad as some that i've heard.  Again, please, no one take this
personally!  I was just feeling frustrated yesterday. (I can be chatty
on some of the quieter weekday Pacific passes; i just try to leave
breaks and listen for other stations.)

AO-27 is hosted by a commercial satellite and its power budget only
permits limited use by amateurs. My understanding is that its operating
schedule is intended to serve the largest community of amateurs on a
worldwide basis, and i believe it's currently just on in the Northern
Hemisphere (irrespective of longitude) to best utilize its limited
resources and in order to avoid consuming power over unpopulated ares
such as some of the large expanses of ocean in the Southern Hemisphere.
This is just speculation, but it may be that software limitations also
preclude non-operation on the basis of longitude.  But that's probably
just as well, for it doesn't discriminate other than on North vs. South.

ASUSAT, when launched, should be also operating in J-FM mode, and should
not be subject to the same power constraints as AO-27.  So we may be
able to operate at night as well as in both hemispheres one of these
days.  Let's hope it finds a launch vehicle soon.

		-- KD6PAG  ("Networking Old-Timer, RF newbie")

P.S.  There used to be advertisements on AM radio say "Learn how to
speak French like a diplomat."  What i've always wanted to learn is
how to speak English like a diploment...