APRS @ AMSAT Symposium Missippi

A quick check of www.aprs.net reveals no APRS infrastructure in southern
Mississippi to support APRS travelers to the 16th Annual Amsat Symposium
in Vicksburg on 16-19 Oct.

Since some conferees may be APRS mobile in the vicinity of the conference
it would be nice to get at least one digipeater up in Vicksburg.  All it
takes is a good antenna, a TNC and a 2m radio.  I notice a strong system
across western Florida, but no digipeaters in Mobile, Hattisburg, or
Jackson.

Step two would be to get someone in the area of that digipeater to run
Mac/WinAPRS/+SA on their PC interfaced to another TNC and radio that would
then provide two-way inbound and outbound worldwide APRS message IGating
capability.  The link is automatic as long as the PC is logged on to
www.aprs.net.

If you live in Southern Mississippi and haven't tried APRS, this
conference may give you the incentive to try it out and join the
nationwide system.  All it takes is the IGate to allow full two-way
nationwide APRS messaging to and from mobiles or portables in the area.

I have also asked that the AMSAT handouts of local maps and literature to
include LAT/LONG of all locations pertaining to the conference since many
AMSAT travelers will take their GPS units along.

GPS is here to stay.  Lets use it!

de WB4APR, Bob

See APRS LIVE:  http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs.html