NASA fire *DID NOT* damage Hubble parts

Bill Ford, WB5SXK, passed on an AP wire service report:

>*** NASA fire damages spacecraft parts
>
>Parts of two spacecraft, including panels that are to be installed in
>the Hubble Space Telescope, were damaged in a fire at the
>Goddard Space Flight Center, officials said Friday. Phillip Z.
>Tapper, emergency coordinator  for the NASA center, said heat
>protection panels for the telescope and for another spacecraft were
>exposed to smoke and water Thursday afternoon when a fire in an
>adjacent structure spread into a laboratory building where the
>panels were being processed. Tapper said the exact damage to the
>spacecraft panels has not been determined, "but we don't expect
>there will be any mission impact." (AP)

This report was greatly exaggerated. Here is part of the e-mail that
Phillip sent to HST employees after the fire:

>From: Phillip Tapper <Phillip.Z.Tapper.1@gsfc.nasa.gov>
>Subject: Re: No Hubble Hardware Damaged in Fire!
>
>Per usual the press does blow everything out of proportion.  My
>statement to them simply said that HST and MAP flight hardware
>components were in the lab areas involved and that there was possible
>contamination damage due to smoke and water exposure.  Investigations
>were underway but it was anticipated that there would be no mission
>impacts.
>
>As Ann stated HST was lucky as their components were still in
>containers.  The MAP project was not as lucky, but it appears that
>they will simply need to be cleaned.
>

>At 05:44 PM 8/21/98 -0400, Ann Jenkins wrote:
>Although it's already been spread worldwide via The Associated Press
>and CNN, I can tell you firsthand that NO HUBBLE HARDWARE WAS DAMAGED
>IN THE FIRE!  The stainless steel sheets referred to in this story
>were not in the fire area, were still in their protective shipping
>containers, and sustained NO DAMAGE!

As usual, don't believe everything (anything?) that you see in the
news......

MAP is the Microwave Anisotropy Probe, a follow on mission to
Goddard's Cosmic Background Explorer satellite.

Dan Schultz N8FGV