Re: ft-847 & computer control

-----Original Message-----
From: Kevin J. Smith <kjsmith@sgi.net>
To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Date: Wednesday, August 19, 1998 11:42 PM
Subject: [amsat-bb] ft-847 & computer control

>I would be interested in anyones experience with computer control of the
>FT-847.  I am trying to use Station running on a laptop (Win95) computer to
>control the FT-847.  I believe I have everything setup correctly, (null
>modem cable included) but nothing happens on the radio.  Well the CAT light
>comes on everytime the computer wants to correct for doppler shift, but
>nothing happens on the radio end.  I just downloaded the latest version of
>Station (using it in demonstration mode - it is not yet registered),
>installed it, and set it up according to instructions.  Am I missing
>something (other than registering it)?

Kevin -

I wrote the FT-847 commands for Station.  (Details are on my web page
below including source code.)  We tested the program on both desktop
computers and a laptop running Win95.

The first thing I would recommend is that you set the radio up for 4800 baud
on the CAT port.  Because of the commonality between the FT-847 and
FT-736R commands, they use a command library with considerable
overlap.  One thing I neglected to tell Station author Paul Willmott, VP9MU
is that I used the FT-736R defaults for the CAT port (including 4800
baud).  The CAT port baud rate is selectable on the 847, so set it to what
Station wants.

I hope this solves the problem but if it doesn't, please let me know and
we'll figure out exactly why things aren't working and solve the problem
for you.

BTW, the only difference between registering and not registering is that
you need a registration code to save all settings.

Ken Ernandes
n2wwd@amsat.org
http://www.mindspring.com/~n2wwd