Re: Anyone "upgrade" from FT-736 to FT-847?

Hmmm....let's put this into perspective.

I compared the 847 to the 726 and 736 and the 847 is vastly superior to both
of them.

It is not a TS-870s for HF.

The 870 has a much tighter receiver, better IF filtering and I have no
comparison to make for intermod, as I don't experience any here.

The feature set in the 847 works and works well. The rx is hot on 6, 2 and
70cm...the best I have ever put my hands on for a multimode vhf/uhf radio.

It WILL NOT replace a high end or even moderately high end radio on HF.

If I were stuck with one radio and I liked vhf/uhf but wanted hf
functionality, this would be it..847. If I were a serious SSB dx'r and
contester, no way, as the SSB filter bandwidth is too wide and the IF shift
does not narrow it as much as I would like. On cw it's fine.

It's satellite performance is unprecedented.

As far as comparing it to the 450, no contest, I prefer the versatility of
the 847. If I was only interested in HF, the 450 with all the good filters
in it would be superior (SSB, especially, as it's IF shift works better with
the narrower filters)

The DSP noise reduction in the FT-847 is better than even the 870 Kenwood.
All of the rest of the DSP functions in the 870 are better than the 847
(notch, IF bandwidth setting, etc)

So...depending on how one is going to use a radio, the choice would vary. I
consider it one of the best ham radio purchases I have ever made, but I have
an 870 still sitting here and have no intention of getting rid of it.

I have no idea about the KCT.

73

hasan schiers
schiers@netins.net