Re: [Fwd: Re: Y2K and Chicken Little]

> Yes, but what about your software???? I have some program/database/log
> programs that only have a spot for the last 2 digits of the year. Better
> check those on your computer...

> > In a message dated 01-Aug-1998 23:13:23 Central Daylight Time,
> > kc5los@intcomm.net writes:
> >

> > >  I agree!  I have yet to find a computer that is not Y2K...well
> > >  execpt the 8088 laptop I have.... Go figure...
> > >
> > My old Apple IIGS was Y2K compliant back in 1992!
> > All of my Intel/AMD based boxes seem to be compliant, as long as I've
> > remembered to go into the control panel and set the OS to handle 8 digit
> > (DDMMYYYY) dates.

I may be off base here, but I thought that there was more
than just the operating system involved. Ie I thought that
a major part of the problem was with the battery powered
real time clocks that most computers have. Ie the computer
may function OK as long as you leave it on, but once you
turn it off the RTC was incapable of handling dates past
Y2K? It was my understanding that the RTC's made prior to
about 2 years ago were suspect, which is the reason that
they recommend turning off your computer when you check for
Y2K compatability. I know that my 486 running Win31 is NOT
Y2K compatable, whether using windows or dos, because it
resets to 1980 once turned off. So, my question is, in all
the computers you tested, did you follow the complete Y2K
test including turning the computer off, and checking the
feb 29th thing too, or did you just try to see if it would
go from 1999 to 2000 with the computer on? If the latter,
you may be fooling yourself.