Re: July/Aug Amsat Journal Y2K article

Nothing to be scared of. Quite the contrary. I have upgraded 3 machines, all
went flawlessly. All my apps run faster under 98 than 95a.

I use LogSat, WinAPRS, assorted uSoft products, Lotus SmartSuite, lotsa ham
programs, both windows and dos. All work as before, except faster,
especially all screen updating.

I was a long time user of Netscape Navigator (many years) and NS
Communicator (latest version). I have been so pleased with IE 4.x and
Outlook Express (mail and news), that NS no longer takes up any hard disk
space.

Also, when I installed Win98, it did NOT take over my NS browser and email
client as some earlier versions of IE 4.x had done to people ...it left them
as dominant, if that is what they were to begin with. I had to manually
change to them as the default browser, mailer, and news reader. Unusual
restraint for Microsoft, given their history.

Make sure you have NOTHING running that is not ABSOLUTELY essential when you
install. Take EVERYTHING out of your startup folder because it will reboot 3
times during install. Unload and disable or uninstall ALL VIRUS programs.

When you do a ctrl-alt-del to get the task list, you should have only two
things running, Explorer and SysTray...anything is should not be running
when you go to install.

If you follow these precautions, you can expect the same easy install that I
experienced on my 3 machines. 73,

sorry for the semi-off topic post, but there are probably a bunch of people
on the sig wondering the same thing and given historical problems people
have had with O/S upgrades, I thought I would help.

hasan schiers
schiers@netins.net
N0AN