Re: Jul/Aug AMSAT Journal Y2K items UPDATE

At 12:16 PM 7/31/98 -0400, Dunbar.Ron@oscsystems.com wrote:
>(1) On p-17, column 1, next to last paragraph:  "The ISO 8601 document also
>contains the correct definitions for Leap Years (2000 is, 1900 was not!)".
>
>- Is this correct?  The information I have indicates that just the
>*reverse* is true ... simplified, my information states that 'Leap Years
>are any year which is evenly divisible by 4 ...  EXCEPT when it is *also*
>evenly divisible by 400'.

The rule is "any year divisible by 4, unless divisible by 100, except
when also divisible by 400".  The clause you left out (unless divisible
by 100) reverses the meaning of the last clause.  So yes, 2000 is a
leap year, despite being a century year, because it's divisible by 400.

Online Reference:
Royal Greenwich Observatory Information Leaflet No. 48, see
http://www.ast.cam.ac.uk/RGO/leaflets/leapyear/leapyear.html

This is only the second time we've used this rule, because it was
only put into effect in 1582 with the Gregorian calendar reform.
Those who didn't adopt the Gregorian reform promptly have never
used this rule before.

73  -Paul
kb5mu@amsat.org