Re: P3D Telemetry, R. Meyers Comm.

Mike,

Let me take a shot at answering for the RUDAK module of P3d.

The TLM from RUDAK will be UoSat compatible, the number of channels and
order is TBD.  There will likely be more than one TLM mode each with a
slightly different mix of channels depending on need, downlink loading and
other factors not apparent until after launch.

RUDAK will produce whole orbit data into the file system which will be
compatible with the UoSat WOD format.  Any channel and any number of
channels may be stored as WOD, with just about any collection rate for
nearly any length of time (eventually limited by how much memory we want to
fill up with data).

At times, RUDAK will take the IHU telemetry blocks, break them into three
packets, and send them on its digital downlink(s).  It may also repeat
other IHU data blocks to its downlink.

There may be TLM on the RUDAK downlink from the experiments connected to
RUDAK (SCOPE, Monitor, CDEX, and the GPS) or from their driver tasks which
run in RUDAK.  Most such TLM presently coding and working is for test and
debug purposes.  Some of this may be present at times on the downlink, at
other times be written to the file system and available for download, and
at other times not present at all.  Continued software development after
launch may well generate changes in TLM and diagnostic data present on the
downlink.

There are 16 additional temperature TLM channels spread around P3d
available via the CAN bus that RUDAK will include in its TLM stream at
times.  These have been calibrated from about +120C to -75C and should be
very interesting to watch.

We also expect to implement a function that allows the recording of IHU WOD
to the RUDAK file system.

We intend to provide a simple RUDAK TLM decoder via the AMSAT web site.  We
are also working on a much nicer and complete TLM program, compatible with
Win95, 98 and NT, very visual - including dials and gauges, available
through the AMSAT Software Exchange for a donation.

The TLM available through RUDAK will be a very rich and complex data stream
and will change with time and operational mode.  It should be quite
interesting to observe, record and analyze.  Of course, since this is an
Amateur Radio satellite, the definition of all such data will be published
as soon as it is finalized.

And finally, we have been discussing the possibility of providing a page or
two of near-real-time data on the AMSAT-NA web site.  This would be
gathered off the downlink by one or more stations using software which
would automatically decode the data and update the web site via the
Internet.  The pages could range from simple lists of channels and values
to dials, gauges, thermometers, etc.
(Id like to hear from any VB5 developers who have used such controls or
add-ins, especially if they are shareware or cheap!)

Jim White
wd0e@amsat.org