ALINCO DJ-s11 $88 HT Hack?

We bought 15 of the DJ-S11 HT's for use in a student satellite lab and
discovered two things.

1) It has a rcvr power saver which cycles the RCVR power off for 90% of
every second.  Makes them useless for packet unless you run open sql

2) Looking at the schematic the CPU is connected to the MIC connector via
lines labeled TXD and RXD!

Anyone figured out how to talk to the CPU via these serial data lines?!!!
(It takes a stereo sub mini phone plug to access the TXD/RXD line I've
never seen one of these before in the sub-mini size.)

de WB4APR, Bob