June 29 SPACE NEWS article about P3D

The professional trade newspaper "SPACE NEWS" printed an article
about Phase 3D and the Ariane 5 launch in their June 29 issue.
Titled "ESA drops Amsat for dummy payload on Ariane 5," the
article starts out by recounting what we alrady know, that P3D
was originally scheduled to fly on 502, that it missed the
launch deadline because of last minute changes required by ESA,
and that Amsat was notified on June 16 that P3D would not be
carried on the 503 launch. ESA believed that the commercial
Eutelsat W2 satellite would be riding on 503, but a fire at a
contractor's plant in France on May 18 destroyed a similiar W1
version of the satellite, causing Eutelsat to withdraw from
launch negotiations. ESA and Arianespace have decided to launch
a dummy satellite on 503 to simulate the W2 satellite.

The article continues:

Article written by Peter B. de Selding

Dan Schultz N8FGV