Re: Manufacturing milled clamps/saddles

At 03:38 AM 7/22/98 +0000, Wayne Day wrote:
>At 04:12 PM 7/21/98 -0400, Zack Lau W1VT wrote:
>>Universal saddles typically have very little surface
>>contact with a mast.  I recommend having custom milled
>>saddles that precisely match the mast diameter.
>>...I've actually filed clamps
>>to shape before I decided it made more sense to make
>>them on a miniature milling machine.--Zack Lau W1VT
>
>For those of us who aren't machinists and don't work
>such devices... how about a little bit of elmering here,
>Zack.  Just how would I go about getting a boom saddle
>made?  Who'd do the design work, and once I'd decided
>to get it, where do I go from there (I've just looked,
>the only saddles sold in Texas are the ones for horsies,
>according to the Yellow Pages)?  Oh, and is this something
>that the average Joe can afford to begin with?
>
>A "Dummy's Guide to CNC manufacturing", I guess, if you
>will.
>
>Thanks & 73
>   Wayne  N5WD

All you have to do is go down to your local auto parts store and buy some
muffler clamps and use the saddles off of them...You don't have to do it
the hard way and make them unless you want to!!

73, Bill N4XEO

e-mail: stonehvn@gate.net
home page: http://www.qsl.net/n4xeo
F.A.D.C.A.: http://www.flnet.com/~crosby/fadca