Re: ARRL License Restructuring Proposal

Red Johnson wrote:

> I guess I would be one of the sour pusses who wonders, why did I bother to
> upgrade to General?  An automatic upgrade to priviliges of General by having
> passed the Novice test?

Not quite.  Novice, plus Tech, plus 5wpm code.  Thats alot more than just"the novice
test"

> I guess the pride a lot of us felt in passing the General wasn't well founded if
> it will become meaningless under the proposed rule changes.

Boo Hoo.  I am an extra.  It took me from 1972 in high school till 1990 justbefore I
shipped to the gulf war to get to 20wpm.  I stagnated for years
at tech cause I didn't want the 13wpm bad enough.  Are you interested in
seeing changes made, trying to make things better, easier, or are you
hanging on to old feelings.  I knew crusty old sergeants in the army like
that.  By god, they used a black powder musket in WWII, and we really
don't need any new weapons.  M-16... yech!!!  I passed it, and I'm proud
of it.  You passed yours, and I assume you are proud too.  I am happy
for you, and would hope that you would see this as a chance to get
more space on HF, hopefully some younger operators too.

> Why not move all current General Class licensees into Class B to recognize their
> past accomplishments rather than send them back a step and lump them with those
> who didn't upgrade?

Who is sending you back a step???  Are you getting frequencies takenaway?  Are you
being limited on power, mode???  Whats being taken
away???  Under this proposal, you loose nothing!  You gain some badly
needed elbow room in the general bands!!!Why not upgrade the Advanced to Extra?
They don't want to be stuck withthe generals who couldn't pass the advanced
written.  Why not start a new
class, call it A+, for the Extras who did the 20wpm for real.  Is the Tech+
any less deserving?  International law requires morse for HF.  It doesn't
specify speed.  This new idea is in line with the requirements of many countries
around the world.  I am not for eliminating the code.  Neither do I
believe that you need a license for a 60 ton truck to drive a VW beetle.

I understand your resistance to change, and I respect your view.  I just
don't see anything or anybody being hurt by this, except stubborn
feelings hurt cause somebody has it easier now.  Hell, my kids have it
easier now than I did, what about your kids.  Do they walk to and from
school, chest deep in snow, and uphill both ways???   (VBG)  :-)

Wishing you a very fine evening.

--
Vy73,  Mike.  KD9KC
kd9kc@whc.net