Re: Manufacturing milled clamps/saddles

Wayne Day wrote:

> At 04:12 PM 7/21/98 -0400, Zack Lau W1VT wrote:
> >Universal saddles typically have very little surface
> >contact with a mast.  I recommend having custom milled
> >saddles that precisely match the mast diameter.
>
> For those of us who aren't machinists and don't work
> such devices... how about a little bit of elmering here,

To add strength to antenna mounting, I use something very simple.
I get large diameter washers, what we call fender washers.

I carefully lay them down in a pipe sawed in 1/2 lengthwise.

I beat them with a ball-peen hammer until they take on a curved
shape that fits the boom I need them for.  Curled, kinda like a
potato chip.  Drop them over the screw and onto the boom
before tightening.  Keeps the boom from flatening and allows
a good tight clamp.  Used this on a KLM KT-34A element
mount, and it held in 100+ MPH gusts here in Texas.  (Yep,
even the storme are bigger in Texas hi hi)  Hope this idea
helps someone.

--
Vy73,  Mike.  KD9KC
kd9kc@whc.net