Re: ARRL License Restructuring Proposal

G'day all,
I'd like to put my "two bob's" worth in here. I'll probably get severely
flamed, but what the hell.

If the licence system is to be restructured (and this applies equally to
Australia) why not start over with a fresh sheet? Base the grades on
examined technical competence, not some arcane language, and grant
privelidges accordingly. There will initially be wailing, gnashing of teeth
and rending of garments, but we all finish up with an equitable system. We
should be looking ahead to those who have not yet entered the hobby, not
back at those who are falling off the other end.

What say,
Entry level...Basic theory and regs, V/Uhf repeater,packet very limited HF.

Transition... Full but not detailed theory, V/U&HF, limited modes, limited
             power
Full... Full & detailed theory,V/U/HF all modes, more but still limited
        power

Endorsed...As for full, extra theory, safety. Allfreq, inc uwave, max or
        extra power etc according to endorsement.

All thought up "on the fly" and not a detailed proposal, but wortth
thinking about.

		73 de VK2XCI. Voice of The Edge of The Outback.
	               Norm at Mount Hope. QF27wd