Re: ARRL License Restructuring Proposal

Red Johnson wrote:
> I guess I would be one of the sour pusses who wonders, why did I bother to
> upgrade to General?  An automatic upgrade to priviliges of General by having
> passed the Novice test?  The Tech + test?  Is there nothing contained in the
> General test that neither Techs or Novices need to know?  Why not at least
> require passing the written element?

The written element which I passed for my Technician class license, before
there was Tech+, was the same written element as that for the General
class license.  The only difference between me and them then, is 8 WPM
of code.

This difference is a hazing ritual and has no legal or technical basis.

I am 100% in support of the new licensing structure as proposed... and
I am also 100% in support of operators who choose to operate CW.  CW
only portions of the spectrum will remain and these folks can always enjoy
their favorite mode there.

Chris Elmquist, N0JCF