New Licensing Proposal...

My grandfather rued the day when the Florida drivers test
no longer required people to prove they could drive a
stick-shift.  My dad, who possesses CDP certificate number 5
(or something darn near that number, I can't recall exactly)
feels like today's professional tests have been dumbed down
to the point where they are meaningless.  Ask someone who took
the CPA exam several years ago how easy it is today to get a
CPA certificate compared to 'back then'.  Anyone gotten a Ph.D.
lately and asked an old-timer how hard it used to be back in
the old days?  Any old boy scouts in the crowd? -- take a look
at the requirements for some of the boy scout ranks today,
including the merit badges... piece of cake compared to OUR
day, right?    "this is known as progress... not necessarily
good progress, but just plain progress."  -- Mackey

I couldn't help but find it ironic that the following joke was
in my email box this morning.  Remember, don't shoot the
messenger!

David Fordham, KD9LA,
(a ham since 1976 when the FCC administered
REAL ham exams)   :)

(Incidently, I agree that the changes are probably for the
better, and I STRONGLY agree with the poster who said that
the questions should be tougher on good operating practice.
Now if only we could get a little FCC help in enforcement!)

>Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 08:56:24 -0400
>From: Zelda Gray <zgray@concept5.com>
>Subject: humor
>

>A.N.A. BILL PASSES CONGRESS
>From staff and wire reports
>
>WASHINGTON, DC (Jan 13, 1998) -- Congress has approved the Americans
>With No Abilities Act, sweeping new legislation that provides benefits
>and protection for more than 135 million talentless Americans.
>
>The act, signed into law by President Clinton shortly after its passage,
>is being hailed as a major victory for the millions upon millions of
>U.S. citizens who lack any real skills, talents, or even uses.
>
>"Roughly 50 percent of Americans -- through no fault of their own --
>do not possess the talent necessary to carve out a meaningful role for
>themselves in society," said Clinton, a longtime ANA supporter.
>
>"Their lives are futile hamster-wheel existences of unrewarding,
>dead-end busywork: xeroxing documents written by others, fulfilling
>mail-in rebates for Black & Decker toaster ovens, and processing
>bureaucratic forms that nobody will ever see. Sadly, for these
>millions of nonabled Americans, the American dream of working hard
>and moving up through the ranks is simply not a reality."
>
>Under the Americans With No Abilities Act, more than 25 million
>important-sounding "middle man" positions will be created in the
>white-collar sector for nonabled persons, providing them with an
>illusory sense of purpose and ability.
>
>Mandatory, non-performance-based raises and promotions will also
>be offered to create a sense of upward mobility for even the most
>unremarkable, utterly replaceable and most-useless of employees.
>
>The legislation also provides corporations with incentives to hire
>nonabled workers, including tax breaks for those who hire one
>non-germane worker for every two talented hirees.  Finally, the
>Americans With No Abilities Act also contains tough new measures
>to prevent discrimination against the nonabled by banning
>prospective employers from asking such job-interview questions as,
>"What can you bring to this organization?" and "Do you have any
>special skills that would make you an asset to this company?"
>or "Tell us some of your strengths."
>
>"As a nonabled person, I frequently find myself unable to keep up
>with co-workers who have something going for them," said Mary Lou
>Gertz, who lost her position as an unessential filing clerk at a
>Minneapolis tile wholesaler last month because of her lack of
>notable skills.  "This new law should really help people like me."
>
>With the passage of the Americans With No Abilities Act, Gertz and
>millions of other untalented, inessential citizens can finally see
>a light at the end of the tunnel.
>
>Said Clinton: "It is our duty, both as lawmakers and as human beings,
>to provide each and every American citizen, regardless of his or her
>lack of value to society, some sort of space to take up in this
>great nation."

attributed to
Bob Ashley            WWW  http://www.shirenet.com/~luv2bowl
  Centreville, VA              E-Mail: luv2bowl@shirenet.com

Summer Bowling, 1998
  Smokeless Rollers Secretary (BA Chantilly):     Mon 18:30
  Chantilly Scratch Trios President:              Tue 19:30
  Summer Mixed Classics Secretary (BA Chantilly): Thu 18:00

Life is like a pocket strike ... you never know what it's
   going to leave you with.