Manufacturing milled clamps/saddles

At 04:12 PM 7/21/98 -0400, Zack Lau W1VT wrote:
>Universal saddles typically have very little surface
>contact with a mast.  I recommend having custom milled
>saddles that precisely match the mast diameter.
>...I've actually filed clamps
>to shape before I decided it made more sense to make
>them on a miniature milling machine.--Zack Lau W1VT

For those of us who aren't machinists and don't work
such devices... how about a little bit of elmering here,
Zack.  Just how would I go about getting a boom saddle
made?  Who'd do the design work, and once I'd decided
to get it, where do I go from there (I've just looked,
the only saddles sold in Texas are the ones for horsies,
according to the Yellow Pages)?  Oh, and is this something
that the average Joe can afford to begin with?

A "Dummy's Guide to CNC manufacturing", I guess, if you
will.

Thanks & 73
   Wayne  N5WD