RS-15

I was on RS-15 for the ~0035 UTC 7/21 pass last night. I monitored the beacon
for a couple of minutes and noticed the same sequence of carrier on/off as was
reported here earlier. I also noticed when the beacon first came on, it varied
slightly in frequency, pitching down in tone.

I tuned up into the transponder and heard W0ZZQ calling CQ. His signal seemed
strong, then he would cut out. At first I thought Max had an equipment
problem. I called him and the same thing happened to me. My signal would just
cut out. We did complete the QSO after a bit.

Afterwards I began thinking about the sequence where my signal would cut out.
It was following the keyup of the beacon. It sounds like the old battery issue
with RS-15, but now it's being exacerbated by the beacon not running CW, but
keying up a steady tone for 3-4 secs and draining the battery reserves.

I sure hope the beacon can be fixed, or perhaps it could be shut down and the
power used for the transponder. When there was no beacon on Field Day, signals
were really quite good from RS-15.

73,
Mike, N1JEZ
AMSAT #29649