Re: Equatorial LEO

-----Original Message-----
From: Astronautic Technology (M) Sdn. Bhd. <tiung@po.jaring.my>
To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Date: Monday, July 20, 1998 11:50 PM
Subject: [amsat-bb] Equatorial LEO

>Gentlemen,
>
>I shall be grateful if you will give your views, merit and demerits of an
>equatorial orbit and,  if piutting a satellite in equatorial orbit would
>pose any special problems.

There are no special problems with equatorial orbits other than it's
difficult to get there from non-equatorial launch site.

>There is a feeling that polar and inclined orbits have been used for
>several decades. Tropical countries around the equatorial belt are, perhaps
>at a disadvantage from the point of view of currently highly inclined LEO
>satellites because of short and infrequent passes. Your views are
appreciated

I think those of us at higher latitudes would feel further disadvantaged by
equatorial orbits since, unless it has a fairly high altitude, we get no
coverage at all.  If we do get coverage, our maximum elevation might not be
that high.  On the other hand, no matter how high or low the inclination,
equatorial latitudes are guaranteed some coverage.

Ken Ernandes
n2wwd@amsat.org
http://www.mindspring.com/~n2wwd