Re:Perennial Cross Boom Material Question

Hi Tom:

I did a lot of research on this subject when I put my antennas in the air two
years ago. I finally settled on a fiberglass crossboom from M2. They sell a
version that uses an aluminum shaft (1 1/2" diameter) to be inserted through
the Yaesu elevation rotor. Then two fiberglass tubes  (2") attach to the
aluminum shaft with the help of stainless steel bolts. The whole thing is
extreamly sturdy and works well with my KLM antennas.

This "kit" can be shipped by UPS and is fairly inexpensive. (I think it ran
about $80) The only concern you might have would be with the mounting hardware
of your antennas. The KLM antennas had 1 1/2" mounting hardware so M2 shipped
me a 3' section of 1 1/2" solid fiberglass shaft. Per M2's instructions, I used
a two-part epoxy and inserted 12" of the fiberglass shaft  (leaving 6"
protuding) into the tube on each end and mounted my antennas to the solid
shafting.

I was worried that the epoxy might break away after years of flexing and
twisting but it's been there since 5/95 and hasn't given me any problems. Off
hand I can't tell you the overall length of the crossboom but I believe it is
11.5' with the extra distance provided with the shafting.

If you are using M2's antennas, I understand they utilize 2' mounting hardware
that can be used directly with M2's own boom system. (Someone might want to
confirm this)

Good luck with the upgrade project! I hope things work out well for you!

73
Mark Fossum - N0NSV