How do I...

Having been a ham for a couple of years, I have just now developed an
interest in amateur satellites and packet radio. I have just about mastered
packet and am ready to step up to the amsat challenge. At the present time
my equipment is limited to a dual band VHF/UHF HT and a 2M mobile radio.
I've heard that it is possible to make contact with one or more of the
amateur satellites with this type equipment. Is this true or is it just one
of those infamous urban legends? If it is possible, will a ground plane
antenna work or is it absolutely necessary to use a directional antenna? I
am really hoping that it is possible to use FM to make contact with one of
the satellites. I hope all the seasoned veterans out there will forgive me
of my ignorance, but if you don't ask you'll never know. Thanks in advance!

73
Jeff