Messages on APRS

I'm having trouble getting the full text of messages sent via APRS.  I can get
four or five words of the messages but never a complete one.  Sometimes, I get
repeats of messages with a slightly longer amount of the text, never all of
it.

I'm thinking it has something to do with TNC settings but my manual doesn't
give much hope for a solution.  I wonder if anyone is using my setup and might
share TNC settings with me or suggest some other solution to the problem.

I'm using APRSW with Windows 95.  I have an old AEA PK-232 TNC upgraded with
firmware to about 1991.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jimmy Walker
WA4ILO