Re: Russia launces satellite from submarine

On Wed, 8 Jul 1998, Mark Oeltjenbruns wrote:

> 	The paper had a little blurb that Russia launched a German Tubsat-N
> satellite using a RSM-54 intercontinental ballistic missile from a
> Novomoskovsk submarine in the Barents Sea.  Anyone know any more details
> than this?  This seems like a very significant first since it would open up
> unlimited launch possibilities making it much easier to obtain desired
> orbital parameters, among other things.  Whose idea was this?  What was the
> size of this satellite?

Mark,
 Others have answered most of what you asked. The launch was the idea of
the ICBM's makers, Malenkov I think, and the Russian Navy. There was a
piece in the trade publication "Space News" about this, seems as though
their navy gets a piece of the launch fee, and they get to allow their
SSBN to go out and actually launch a missile, something that they can't
afford to normally allow them to do. It also allows Russia to dispose of
the ICBM's it has that will be surplus under the terms of the START
treaty (something that they US has been fiddling around at, wish we
could get them to hand over a ver old Minuteman 2's, nice way to get a
bunch of pacsats into orbit.....).
 Hope that helps some.

Later,
Andy