Re: My THought/HAMS In General

For years I wanted to become a Ham Radio Operator and be a part of the world
clique/fraternity/brotherhood/organization/whatever.  When I finally passed
the first in a series of tests to become a Ham, I was thrilled.  No, my life
hasn't been that dull and boring, far from it.  However, becoming a Ham was
"special" to me for many personal reasons.

Imagine finding that, even as a Technician I could enjoy QSOs with people all
over this  planet of ours via the satellites.  I was omnipresent on every
pass I could muster the time for as N1TNB, Red, FN34 from Vermont.  I was
even advised that I was there more often than Mike, N1JEZ, the ultimate (to
me) in call recognition on the "birds".

Then, I advanced to Tech Plus and finally on to General.  Now, I begin to see
why a lot of Hams simply aren't any more.  The filth on 80 meters, the
unbelievable conduct of "operators" on 20 meters, the rudeness on other
bands, all make me wonder, why did I bother?

I believed, apparently wrongly, that Hams were a special class of people that
truly appreciaed the priviliges of  Ham Radio as a sport/hobby/service to the
world community.

Now, I see this same creeping death-of-respect for each other in the use of
power to walk over others on the "birds", mud slinging on the AMSAT-BB and
other child-like behaviors from a world community of "special" people who
frequent the "birds".  I see better behavior on the 11 meter bands and less
flaming/looking for a sore to pick at, on the flame nets!

Am I the only one becoming disillusioned by this deterioration of respect for
each other and each others priviliges, especially as a global community of
Hams?

I won't apologize for the bandwidth nor will I respond to any replies made
publicly.  If you wish to comment, flame me, tell me I need to get a life or
whatever, do it privately.  But, please, look at what is happening to this
forum.  Find the last courteous message that actually dealt with satellites.
Think about it.

Don't look for me on the birds for a while, I need to get a Kilowatt or two
and stacked 40 element beams first so I can be heard again on

Red
K1RED