Mir Re-entry question

Perhaps one of the clever guys can answer this for me:

When they leave Mir to re-enter, will they be leaving it as a composite
structure (with all the modules attached) or will they separate the
various components before abandoning it ?

Strikes me that theres less chance of big lumps hitting the deck if its
split up first. Also less total mass = less inertia = it comes down
sooner.

Any info on bolt-on de-orbiting devices so re-entry can be controlled ?
(apart from Progress)

73
Richard W L Limebear G3RWL
g3rwl@amsat.org