Re: NO MORE PHOTOS !

Mike,

You are making a couple of mistakes here.  First, the modem speed is 28.8
kiloBITS/second and the 186K is kiloBytes.  That makes 51 seconds
((186*8)/28.8) assuming no compression (you won't see much on JPEG) and no
re-transmissions due to link errors.

Second, you are assuming that the email server is not busy.  Most of us
have *much* less than the full bandwith's worth of throughput from our
email servers.  My estimate is that the 51-second file took 5-10 minutes to
download here.

Now, a single message like that may not kill my budget, but if I were to
receive a lot of messages like that I'd use up my daily allocation very
quicly.

The most reasonable approach to posting binary files is to put them on an
FTP server somewhere and then - by all means - tell people about the
location on this list.

73 de VE7MDL              ....Erik.

At 20:05 30/06/98 -0500, Steam wrote:
>I personally enjoyed the photo very much, thank you .
>I thought it was very much what this list is about.
>
>The file is 186k. At 28.8 (the SLOWEST anyone should be
>currently at,) the thing would only take 15 or 20 seconds over
>a busy connection.
>
>If your connection's slower, upgrade. If 20 seconds is too
>much for you, why are you here? You must have a plane
>to catch!
>
>73... Mike, N9IVO

>Mike Pender, N9IVO   Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.
>E-Mail:            steam@megsinet.net
>Web Page:    http://www.megsinet.com/steam
>I.B.E.W. Local 9 Chicago Lineman; 18yrs.

AMSAT Top AMSAT Home