Re: AO-27/FD Lessons Learned

Hi Steve and the group,

I kind of wonder the same thing from time to time.  It is pretty
difficult to get into AO-27 on 5 watts especially on weekends and
super especially on FD.  This is not to say that it can't be done.
If you time it just right, you can squeeze in there.  I usually tape
my downlink so I can hear what I sounded like and my 5 watts gets
through just fine when it makes it.  If I'm there, I'm there 100
percent, if not, then its only noise.  Needless to say, on the
weekends, it's mostly noise.

I wonder too, if there ought not to be a regularly scheduled QRP day
on AO-27 or maybe a portable day where the goal is to run as little
power as possible preferably 10 watts or less.  This could make for
some fun experiments like can it be done with 1 watt or less?  The
satellite itself is only putting out something like 500mW, I think.
Perhaps a better way to rate the sending station is by estimated EIRP
-- 1 watt into a 20db gain antenna is not QRP!

Maybe we could set 1 or 2 days a month and call them QRP days?

John KM5EX

note:  I'm sure this will get me flamed big-time as you probably
already have been, Steve,  but like it or not folks, thats what I
think.  You're welcome to try to change my mind -- logic and reason
are all it takes!  Address all flames to /dev/null

On  3 Jul 98 at 23:02, STEVE DIGGS wrote:

<snipped>

> So is that the deal? Is the old ham guide to run the lowest power to
> get the job done out the door? If so, FB! I can run 50 watts just as
> well as the next guy.
>
> Maybe we need to revisit this power issue and think about
> experimenting with QRP passes, just to see what's really required.

AMSAT Top AMSAT Home