Mir question

A question to those who know more than I:

Understanding that Mir is 'worn out', but still having lots of
expensive gear on board (esp. considering the freight charges),
wouldn't it make more sense to boost it to a high orbit, then after
a new space station is built, ferry the gear to the new station?  It
seems a shame to let all that mass go to waste

It probably does make sense, but I'm missing something.  Could you
use simple terms (less than 7 syllables per work) to explain why?

Tnx in advance

Michael Homsany
AH8E@samoatelco.com

AMSAT Top AMSAT Home