Trinana update

A while back, Vice President Al Gore publically proposed the construction and
launch of a sun-synchronous satellite that would beam back a constant, 24-hour
real-time HDTV image of the earth.  NASA invited public comments on the
proposal.  Those who commented via e-mail received the message below today.  As
it is about a spacecraft and has no HTML, no attachments, and no photos of
Field Day or unclothed females, I think I'm safe passing it along to amsat-bb
for your information.  Nevertheless, I'm sure it will offend someone here.
Please flame NASA and not me!
--
Mark D. Johns, K0MDJ (formerly WA0RGV) Cedar Falls, Iowa     EN32sm
 "Heaven goes by favour.  If it went by merit, you would

> To Whom It May Concern:
>
> The responses to the Request for Information relevant to the potential
> Triana mission were extremely useful in NASA's subsequent mission
> definition efforts.  On behalf of NASA's Office of Earth Science, I will
> take this opportunity to thank you for your thoughtful and creative
>
> NASA has received guidance from the Administration and the Congress to
> proceed with issuance of a competitive solicitation for proposals to
> implement the Triana mission.  No expenditure of funds is authorized at
> this point; the Congress will address this issue once NASA has received and
> assessed the proposals submitted in response to the solicitation.
>
> Today, July 1, a Commerce Business Daily notice has been posted
> (http://nais.nasa.gov/EPS/HQ/date.html#AO-98-OES-02) declaring NASA's
> intent to release an Annoucement of Opportunity on or about July 10, with
> proposals due within 45 days of the AO release.  The AO solicits proposals
> for Earth remote sensing science investiations from L1, with a minimum
> science requirement to provide the HDTV-quality, full disk image of the
> Earth in near real-time.  When issued, the AO will be available via the
> Internet at http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/ese under "ESE Research
> Announcements", or via ftp at ftp.hq.nasa.gov/pub/mtpe .  Paper copies of
> the AO will be available to those who do not have Internet access by
> calling (202) 358-3552 and leaving a voice mail message with your full name
> and address (including zip code) and your telephone number (including area
> code).
>
> The AO includes consideration for student involvement in Triana
> implementation.  Educational uses of Triana data will be the subject of a
> subsequent NASA Research Announcement.
>
> In the interest of receiving the best possible proposals and of
> facilitating potential collaborations among prospective proposers, we would
> like to send a summary of the RFI responses to this same list of RFI
> respondents.  This would include a one or two line statement of ideas by
> category (system implementation, science, education, commercial use of
> data), and what organization submitted them.  This is in keeping with the
> informational nature of RFIs and responses.  If your organization does not
> wish to be listed in this summary, please let me know via response to this
> e-mail by cob Friday, July 10.
>
> Again, thank you for helping NASA define this exciting mission.
> Greg Williams

AMSAT Top AMSAT Home