Conventions and agreements (was: best practice)

I'm dismayed at some of the email I've received over
my last posting. None of the stuff I mentioned is
anything to do with me - a net.cop I'm not, I assure
you.

All of this, and more, is simply how to use the medium
successfully. Some of it is technical, like the effect
on a mail server of sending 200 or more individual
copies (that's how mailing lists work) of a 200k image.
Some of it is experience, LIKE THE WAY POSTING IN ALL CAPS
LOOKS LIKE SHOUTING AND IS HARD TO READ ANYWAY.

It isn't new, either. It was all well established by
the time I first encountered the Internet in 1986.
While we don't have to put up with "high speed" 4800
baud UUCP links any more (who else used to quote ihnp4
in their email address?), the lessons learned remain
valid. If you don't like them, start your own net. Don't
flame me about it.

Get a life, people.

Laura Halliday VE7LDH     "Laisse le vent tout emporter..."
Grid: CN88hk IOTA: NA036       - Foly/Viennet