Re: Tape Recorders

At 21:39 30/06/1998 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi,
>Here is a technical issue:
>I want to record a 9600 downlink on tape.
>Testing a simple Radio-Shack mono tape recorder, it looks like the
>high frequency response is fine. It is not exactly linear, but that
>can be corrected by a non-linear input amplifier.
>One thing I did notice is that the Jitter is very high. Now that could be due
>to one of several reasons:
>1. bad low frequency response of the tape recorder.
>2. bad motor speed control / bad tape alignment.
>I know its only a 19$ R.S. unit - but that all I had to test :-)
>Did anyone test the frequency response of a different tape recorder ?
>bye, Assi

G'day Assi and the list,
A good Azimuth alignment with a transfer standard tape should see the freq.
response improve. The Jitter is a far more difficult problem.

I've tried just about everything from a RS chepie to an Akai commercial
unit. Comes from many years of messing with old Z80 based systems. It is
all to do with the mechanical construction of the actual deck. Anything
that pre-tensions the tape after it comes off the feed side of the cassette
and before it passes over the head will work fine. A number of "reversable"
machines seem to work. If you use a cassette that uses mini spools to hold
the tape it may help too.

Personally, I resorted to a proffesional reel to reel machine, surplus from
the local radio station. Venerable Rola 77 Mark111 Profesional.
		73 de VK2XCI. Voice of The Edge of The Outback.
	               Norm at Mount Hope. QF27wd

AMSAT Top AMSAT Home