Tape Recorders

Hi,
Here is a technical issue:
I want to record a 9600 downlink on tape.
Testing a simple Radio-Shack mono tape recorder, it looks like the
high frequency response is fine. It is not exactly linear, but that
can be corrected by a non-linear input amplifier.
One thing I did notice is that the Jitter is very high. Now that could be due
to one of several reasons:
1. bad low frequency response of the tape recorder.
2. bad motor speed control / bad tape alignment.
I know its only a 19$ R.S. unit - but that all I had to test :-)
Did anyone test the frequency response of a different tape recorder ?
bye, Assi

     Assi Friedman, 4X1KX/KK7KX Arizona State University
                  "The Truth Is Out There"
Tel: 602-844-1458 (home)
Tel: 602-965-2474 (ASUsat lab)
Fax: 602-965-0277 (ASUsat lab)