RE: 9600 PACSAT contacts count?

Greetings,

Packet Contacts via the satellites DO NOT count as digital points
in the ARRL Field Day.  In fact, they count for nothing except getting
the 100 points for the bonus.  I presented this question to the ARRL
contest manager and got the following response from Billy Lunt at
the ARRL:

-----------

You can not use a satellite for packet contacts (digital mode), but yes
you can use packet for your satellite bonus points contacts.

73,
Billy Lunt, KR1R
Contest Manager, ARRL
kr1r@arrl.org

-----------

So, you can use packet to get the bonus points, but you cannot
use packet for digital points in the ARRL Field Day competition.

However, the AMSAT Field Day rules is geared toward satellite
operation, so you can get 3 points for those digital packets in the
AMSAT Field Day competition.

73's de Tim - N8DEU

PS: We will be active live from Huntsville Alabama at the Motorola
UDS park from K4BFT (the Big Fat Turkey).  Look for you on AO-10,
RS-12, RS-15, FO-20, FO-29, AO-16, LO-19, UO-22, KO-23, KO-25,
and AO-27.  There are many satellite in space that will keep us busy
for the 24 hour duration.  There will not be a dull moment at the satellite
station this year.  Let's challenge our HF Field Day station operators
to see who can snag the real DX this Field Day.