Re: 220 Auction

I used to have 220 repeaters, so I followed this closely. What happened
when this band segment went commercial, is that a lot of folks got
licenses on speculation. That is they had no intention of using them,
they wanted them to resell. Especially since UPS wanted a nationwide 10
channel trunking system. Everybody planned on making big dough! But UPS
fooled them... they backed out! I think they went satellite instead,
like FEDEX. So there were all these people with frequencies that they
would never use. What happened? The FCC had to let a time limit expire,
gather'em all up, re-farm it, and re-auction. That's all that's going on
here. If anything it could be good for ham radio. With commercial 220
comes the availability of off the shelf antennas & duplexers, and the
potential for future surplus!

Just my opinion,

AC5DKevin

>From: "Gregory S. Williams" <Gregory.S.Williams@icx.net>
>To: sanderman@twiar.org, billwa6itf@aol.com, skywarn@qth.net,
>        ham-tech <ham-tech@majordomo.netcom.com>
>Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 14:06:55 +0000
>Subject: 220 Auction
>CC: amsat-bb@AMSAT.org, Robin.Rumbolt@knox.pcec.philips.com
>
>This I got off the FCC web site.  Its dated May 21, so Im guessing
>its old news now.  Would/could this affect amateur radio in the
>future, since it is a former part of our spectrum???
>
>Greg
>

>          Report No. WT 98-14
>                                        WIRELESS TELECOMMUNICATIONS
ACTION