220 Auction

This I got off the FCC web site.  Its dated May 21, so Im guessing
its old news now.  Would/could this affect amateur radio in the
future, since it is a former part of our spectrum???

Greg

          Report No. WT 98-14
                                        WIRELESS TELECOMMUNICATIONS ACTION
                                                                                      May 21, 1998

                       COMMISSION ADOPTS RULES AND SETS FORTH PROCESSES
                                       FOR 220-222 MHz AUCTION

         The Commission has adopted a Memorandum Opinion and Order on
Reconsideration (Reconsideration Order) setting forth rules
for the 220-222 MHz radio service (220 MHz service) and paving the
way for an auction of licenses in the 220 MHz service. The
Reconsideration Order responds to five (5) petitions for
reconsideration of the Commission's 220 MHz Second Report and
Order, and to eleven (11) petitions for reconsideration of the
 Commission's 220 MHz Third Report and Order. In general, the
Commission reaffirms the rules adopted in those orders with
minor changes and clarifications in response to the petitions.

         Within five (5) business days after the release of today's
Reconsideration Order, the Wireless Telecommunications Bureau
will release a Public Notice announcing key dates, procedures and
terms for the 220 MHz auction. Among the key dates will be
the FCC Form 175 filing deadline. This deadline will be no more than
sixty (60) days after publication of the Reconsideration Order
in the Federal Register.

The 220 MHz auction is considered Phase II in the
Commission's licensing plan of this service. Licensees in Phase
I of this service band were authorized by lotteries in 1992 and
1993.

In the Reconsideration Order:

The Commission grants additional flexibility to Phase I
licensees by permitting them to modify their
authorizations to the extent that the modifications do not expand
their existing service area.

The Commission removes the spectrum efficiency standard
that applied to licensees operating on channels wider
than 5 kHz.

The Commission retains criteria established in the 220
MHz Third Report and Order for the protection of Phase I
licensees.

The Commission retains the current power limits on the
mobile frequencies in the 220 MHz band.

Consistent with the Commission's elimination of
installment payment financing for future auctions, the use of
installment payment plans for the 220 MHz Service auction is
eliminated. Increased bidding credits, however, are
available for small and very small businesses consistent with the
schedule set out in the Part 1 Third Report and Order.

Action by the Commission May 14, 1998 by Memorandum Opinion
and Order on Reconsideration (FCC 98-93). Chairman Kennard,
Commissioners Ness, Furchtgott-Roth, Powell and Tristani with
Commissioner Ness issuing a separate statement.

                                                 -FCC-

              News Media contact: Meribeth McCarrick at 202-418-0654

              Wireless Telecommunications Bureau Policy Division contact:
              Jon Reel at 202-418-1310

              Wireless Telecommunications Bureau Auctions Division contact:
              Frank Stilwell at 202-418-0660
Gregory S. Williams
KE4HSM@ICX.NET
http://user.icx.net/~ke4hsm