Re: MIR transmits UNUSEFUL data !

Aloha -

Yes - it looks like you have a number of hams in Europe who need to be
educated. Who need to learn what and how packet works and how a single port
mailbox works.

Fron Alain's comments
>I would like to say my point of view about the MIR voice/packet operations.
>
>MIR, as everyone on this list knows, operates on 145.985 FM. Packet is 1200
>Bd AFSK AX.25.
>With this configuration MIR is very easy to work because the needed
>equipment is very poor:  WRONG !!!

Please explain why I have very little problem with a 1.5W HT and a vertical
antenna???  Packet or Voice. Granted, If I can use the 10W (ten watts) and
OSCAR antenna for a voice pass I will :-)

MIR IS very easy to work. The real problem is antenna shielding from solar
panels and occasional power outages for use of the automated approach
system.

What YOUR problem is the other operators in the footprint.

This does mean that you have a large education program in front of you,
Both for MIR and ISS....

Is there a way that you can get this program going. In the US, we are meant
to be self policing and self education, but of course that takes some work
by other hams.... I've demo-ed MIR and other satellite operations to a
number of hams and helped out several with first connects or voice QSOs.

>Give a see at the attached file. It is the monitor window of last MIR pass
>over Europe.
>Well i have counted 140 BUSY flags on 160 packets received!
>This means that about 87% of the data trasmitted by MIR in a entire pass is
>totally UNUSEFUL.
>Noone were able to read or send a message (so what is the goal of that pms
>up there?).

Most passes here look like this:

R0MIR > CQ  Hello from the Kristall Crew

This means that 100% of the data transmitted is UNUSEFUL :-) :-) :-) :-) JOKE!!
The real data being transmitted is that the PMS is available for connects.

>The idea that a easy access station onboard MIR allows all amateurs to work
>it is wrong.

I think the operative phrase is "allows amateurs the - possibility - of
working it"

It IS easy, if people are cooperative and understand the rules.

>In fact currently only few amateurs have enought antenna gain
>and enought power to pass over the "QRM" and work without problems

In your part of the world this seems to be true.... but did you notice how
often Andy Thomas was reported as active on voice over Australia!!!

On the PMS heard list you can see a number of ZS, VK, ZL stations, and
something tells me it wasn't all that hard to work for them.

       Education - Education - Education

Gently teach people the right way. Help people!!!

>MIR is going to be destroyed in a short time. So it's too late to think
>about any change.
>We must think about the new ISS. I believe that a too popular amateur radio
>system is not a right choice. A
>less accessible one (eg. packet PSK and phone on UHF) would allow all the
>really interested hams to work the space station easily, and would cut off
>all the "just courious" and the trouble makers.

I disagree -

The "just curious" are probably the most important hams to use the MIR PMS.
These are the satellite Ops of the future. I had already used satellites
before I became a ham (ATS-3), but that first voice QSO with Sergei
Krikalev while driving to work was a genuine kick!!!

Since then I have been on satellites from Hawaii and Palau, operated AO10,
AO13, AO21, AO27, RS10, RS12, RS15, FO20, FO29, run a school SAREX
contact....

And, Sure! put 34K PSK modems on ISS and UHF/SHF/10GHz ATV up there - add
in a 7 and 28MHz station. But leave a system for the new guys (how about
something like a 4 uplink freq system for 2M afsk packet )

>Please let me know what is your impressions about this. Best 73's
>
>Alain De Carolis IZ6BYY (ex IW6PBC)

73 and aloha - ted - nh6yk - kc6yk - nh4/nh6yk

http://165.248.121.94/MIR.html
for images, old news, transcripts, FAQ, QSLs and more....
(soon to be changed to http://165.248.121.94/MIR/MIR.html

AMSAT Top AMSAT Home