Need PacSat Guru

Hi Gang,

     This is a newbie post!  I recently joined AMSAT and have some limited
experience working AO27 and RS12 (CW).  I have used terrestrial packet for
several years, (have a MIR QSL) and would like to try working a pacsat.
Any field has it's own language, and I find that I don't (yet) speak the
language in this area.

Questions:

     What resources (books-magazines-web sites) would you suggest to
someone getting started in this field?

     What's the difference between a TNC and a modem?

     How can I tell what TNC's and modems are usable for this application?

     I have an older 2 meter all-mode rig but nothing for 440.  Is it
reasonable to get a 70cm Xverter for my TS950SD, or am I better off buying
a radio already designed for sat work?

     What are the most common mistakes that a beginner makes when putting a
ground station together?

     Many thanks for reading this!  Private replies are fine, and if there
is interest, I'll be happy to summarize for the list.

73, Ken

Ken Freedman
AKA N1QQV/QRP  ARRL VE, QRP-L, AMSAT

AMSAT Top AMSAT Home