Re: web search engine message?

Dunbar.Ron@oscsystems.com wrote:

> IMHO, we can't eliminate Email from all non-subscribers ... how would NEW
> folks ever be able to subscribe then?

Actually, it's fairly easy.  The three mailing lists that I administer,
and
the one I'm helping out with for a couple of weeks, are "closed" lists.
That is to say, one may subscribe or unsubscribe freely, but may not
post
anything to the list unless one is first subscribed to that list.

Most, if not all, of the lists that I subscribe to are closed.  This
keeps
out the spammers, for the most part.  If a non-subscriber attempts to
post
a message to the list, it bounces to the list administrator and does not
show up on the list.  In that way, the listadmin can decide whether to
allow
the message to go through to the list.

Now, if we're talking about keeping those who are not contributors
to/members
of Amsat off the amsat-bb, that's another story; one I would advise
strongly
against.  After attending a five-hour satellite seminar at the ARRL
Southwestern
Division Convention last September, I subscribed to amsat-bb in order to
learn
about this part of the hobby.  While I still don't have any satellite
gear, it
is still interesting to follow the relevant discussions here.

73 de Jim - AD6CW

AMSAT Top AMSAT Home