Re: AMSAT is being torn apart

i have read some of the messages posted about p3d. it is indeed too
bad it is not launching this year. however, i think that the easiest
way to insure that it will launch in the future is to increase
amsat's budget.

i propose that each member be sent a bill for $1,000 per month. if
they intend on using any  the old  satellite, they will be assessed a
$50 per month usage fee. If you want to use P3D, there will be a fee
of $25 per mode per month.

assuming 3,000 members of amsat, that would be $3,000,000 per month
per member or ($36,000,000 per year). the satellite usage would yeild
possibly another $100 per month times 1,000 members (not all members
are active on the satellites) for an additional $1,200,000 per year.
the balance will come from donations and matching funds such as ARRL
etc.

in a little more than a year, i think we should have sufficient money
in amsat's budget to allow us to be a full paying customer and not
have to worry about being bumped from an almost free ride. after all,
i think that if we showed up at the door step with $40,000,000
instead of our meager $1,000,000 we would be on the air with a new
satellite.

being realistic, sit back enjoy the hot summer and when it gets
launched, we will have some fun. if amsat gets some contracts to use
their clean room and build other satellites, maybe part of the
contract would be that we piggy back with that satellite in the
launch vehicle. a two for one launch where we are the beneficiary.

after all, we can build them cheaper and probably better than
commercial concerns. we just have trouble getting them in the air (or
vaccuum).

73...bruce
Bruce Paige, KK5DO                               Internet: kk5do@amsat.org
Houston, Texas                                         or: kk5do@hal-pc.org
AMSAT Area Coordinator
ARRL Official Bulletin Station, Awards Manager (WAS, 5BWAS, VUCC),VE

Houston AMSAT Net - Tuesday, 8PM CDT on SBS 6, T7B, 6.2MHz at 74 degrees.
http://www.amsatnet.com               Visit SHOT  http://www.clarc.org/shot