Re: Views on cooperation

Hello Rees--You have some very worthy thoughts on the future of amateur
radio. The ARRL and many, many individuals already have contributed
beaucoup dollars to space communications. Outside of spreading awareness
of the problem, what do you think it will take to lay out a step-by-step,
 dollar-by-dollar plan to accomplish what you envision? I would be glad
to help you put such a plan in writing if you could figure out the
details. 73

  Stephen E. McCallum,  Radio W2ZBY
   Public Information Coordinator
        Kentucky Section, ARRL
 3209 Tudor Dr.,  Lexington KY 40503
   "In the Heart of the Bluegrass"

On Wed, 17 Jun 1998 17:37:48 -0500 Rees Roberts <reesr@wi.net> writes:
>To all fellow amateur radio operators:
>
>I am new to the satellite scene but it seems to me that some
>pretty big players are distinctly absent from these discussions
>about the current issues to launch the Phase 3D amateur satellite.
>But while I am new to the satellite area, I have been a ham
>for 39 years.
>
>The future of amateur radio includes, to a large degree, the
>technology of satellite communications.  I would think that
>organizations such as the ARRL, the RSGB, as well as
>countless others in countries world wide would begin, after
>over a decade of seeing successes, to show more leadership
>roles in this advancing area of amateur radio.  The operative
>phrase would be "economic team work".
>
>As I see organizations trying to hold on to frequency
>allocations from yester year, I am wondering to myself why?
>The collective bandwidth available above the "DC" bands far
>exceeds what is being cherished if a Phase 3D is made available.
>There is no doubt that the DC bands have their place.  But
>why have we not seen these organizations place a higher
>leadership value on promoting this technology.  And doing so
>with dollars or its equivalent.  I am not talking about
>the support given by "selling" books on the subject or
>providing articles in magazines.  I am talking about these
>organizations sharing hard currency.  Collectively enough
>for a launch of a Phase 3D, for example. Whatever it takes.
>
>AMSAT has done a fantastic job.  They continue to deserve
>our collective support.  But, I think the time has come
>for ALL world wide amateur radio organizations to provide
>the leadership in the form of economic support to launch
>amateur radio satellites.
>
>If petty political issues are the reasons for not
>participating, then we are all ultimately going to pay
>the price for this lack of leadership.  I feel we are
>at a cross road.  If we collectively decide to go forward,
>then we all win.  If not, our options are certain
>to dwindle.  The forces of frequency allocation will
>continue to prey upon our band resources.
>
>The implications are pretty interesting, long term.  So,
>what can you do?  If you agree with me, why not share this
>with your ham radio organization representative
>(ARRL,RSGB etc) and tell them how you feel.
>
>Tell them that long term cooperative efforts to help
>launch satellite technology would establish
>a firm hold on these higher frequency allocations.
>And this would be a win-win scenario for all.
>
>And if you think Phase 3D is good, just wait until
>a few more years go by and better ideas produce
>even better satellites.  But first we need Phase 3D
>launched.  Let us get our collective resources
>together to improve our ability to communicate.
>
>And if I have somehow misplaced these concepts, that
>these organizations have supported satellite technology
>in a meaningful way to launch a Phase 3D, please accept
>my apologies over my near sighted viewpoints.  It is
> [...]

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

AMSAT Top AMSAT Home