Bad News

Disclaimer:
I am a member of Amsat-UK BOD. The following comments are my *personal*
opinions and may not reflect the collective thinking of Amsat-UK.

Seeing some of the comments about the sad P3D news I can't help wondering
if some folks read the same bulletin as I did.
Bill Tynan quoted DJ4ZC as saying:

firstly -
... they (the company Arianespace) would cover the missing $US 40,000,000 in
return for having the freedom to decide the composition of the lower payload.

secondly -
.... To this end Arianespace has been negotiating with the insurance about
the damaged W1. If the W1 can be refurbished in time for the AR 503 launch,
they would launch it and then sell the communication services themselves.

and thirdly -
Clearly they want to retain the option of switching the refurbished W1
against the W1-dummy to the last second before the launch.

My interpretation of this is "tough luck, Amsat; we are gambling on
making pots of money instead of honoring previous commitments"

I won't say what I hope happens to the W1 spacecraft.

73
Richard W L Limebear G3RWL
g3rwl@amsat.org
FOC # 1188