From: Boza, Tom [mailto:tom.boza@intel.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 1998 3:15 PM
To: "'amsat-bb@amsat.org'" ; "Willmott; Paul" ; icom@qth.net
Subject: RE: Icom CI-V - what is wrong with it!

I would suggest the serial port should have its own default CI-V address
on the bus. This way each radio on the CI-V bus can communicate
directly,
with the serial port (1to1) without all the other radios on the CI-V bus

involved in the data communications.

Another suggestion is to have selective radios communicate between
themselves
(transceiver mode) while other paired radios communicate among
themselves at

the same time, each pair communicating on the same CI-V bus together.
Today
if
I want only two radios in transceive mode together when other Icom
radios
are
also on the CI-V bus, I need to remove all the other radios off the CI-V
bus,
otherwise they will ALL track the radio sending out the transceive
broadcast.

I did resolve this by adding a second CI-V bus on a second serial port.
However this is a waist of hardware and serial ports. I placed my
satellite
Icom radios (IC-271/IC-471/R-7000) on one CI-V bus/serial port, and my
IC-756/IC-765 Icom radios on the other CI-V bus/serial port.

NE7X...

Hi All,

Now that we've taken Yaesu to task over the FT-847, I think it is time
to take Icom to task over its CI-V system.

Firstly this is the system I use for all my radios at home, I like the
design of the hardware and the fact that you can control 4 radios off
the same COM port.

The command set is pretty good, but I'd like to see the following fixed:

1). Ability to read a frequency/mode WITHOUT having to make the band the

active band. i.e. read SUB VFO A when MAIN VFO B is active.

2). The set frequency/repeater offset command sets the frequency both
when you transmit or receive. This is daft, the set frequency in
split/repeater mode should only set the RX freq., and leave the TX to be

TX + offset. This is real nasty when doing auto-Doppler for SAREX, as
soon as you hit the PTT the  computer changes the TX freq. to the RX
freq., and that puts you miles off frequency. The solution I have to use

is to disable manually the auto-Doppler correction by pressing a button
on the software before pressing the PTT.

3). The CI-V command set does not allow you to set the CTCSS tones, you
have to do this from the front panel. This is daft, and both Yaesu and
Kenwood do allow this via the CAT. So minus points for Icom here.

4). You can't read the S meter(s) with the command set except for a few
receivers. This is daft.

5). It would be nice if you could ask the radio what model it is. I know

that you can guess by what address it is, but the user can change the
CI-V address by hand, so you can never be sure. Also TenTec radios also
use CI-V with addresses the same as Icoms, ... confusion.

Anyway anyone else want to take aim at the CI-V protocol.

Cheers
Paul Willmott, VP9MU
AMSAT-BDA

AMSAT Top AMSAT Home