Re: Bandwidth...

"Jim Shorney" writes:

> Standard "netiquette" for newsgroups suggests that the person posing a
> query ask that all respondants reply via direct mail, which the
> query-er will then summarize for the list.

But not many summarize back to the -bb. I have no problem with the
current practice of posting the reply to the -bb so everyone can get in
on the act and one learns new things from the debate. If, as happened
recently, someone posts bad information then it will soon get shot down
... wouldn't happen with direct mailing, the recipient would just be
left with bad info.

What *really* upsets me is the waste of bandwidth when folks post a
response and then the rest of the thread is attached below; I've
occasionally seen a one line response followed by 10K of thread. Please,
guys, remember some folks out in internet-land have to pay by the K for
their internet access (I also have to pay for the phone call); snip the
thread to relevent parts only - *please*.

73
Richard W L Limebear G3RWL
g3rwl@amsat.org
FOC # 1188