Re: FT-847

Chip & amsat-bb,

To set the record straight, let me point out that the quote of your
employee in my earlier message was quite accurate indeed. (See message to
Kevin Karamanos - WD6DIH below.)

It appears that Mr. Karamanos did not answer the specific questions that
were put to him at Ham-Com. There is nothing "outrageous" about this
situation as Chip has indicated. It was a simple case of miscommunications
between two people. This was entirely understandable since it was late in a
"typical long day at the convention" and Kevin was probably tired after
answering hundreds of such questions about "his" new radio.

As indicated in the message below, this subject has been discussed several
times over the past months on amsat-bb with no public answers from any
Yaesu officials. As referenced below, perhaps if Yaesu were to have
publicly answered these types of questions on amsat-bb about its newest
satellite capable radio (FT-847) over the past few months, this situation
would not have occurred. Yaesu U.S.A should not be surprised that
inaccuracies evolve due to speculation, rumor, and/or miscommunication as a
result of a lack of presence on amsat-bb to answer questions and make
statements "for the record".

I strongly encourage Chip and/or Kevin to maintain a presence on amsat-bb
to publicly field questions about Yaesu products. In my opinion, such a
presence should certainly result in a "win-win" situation. Please keep us
all up to date on the FT-847 news on amsat-bb. We'll enjoy reading about it.

73,
Doug - KG5OA
Satisfied Yaesu Customer

At 08:33 AM 6/9/98 -0700, Yaesu U.S.A. wrote:
>A most regrettable posting was made to the AMSAT Bulletin Board
>recently, one which outrageously mis-quoted one of our employees.
>
>For the record, our employee stated that, as a practical matter, the
>FT-736R CAT System is not going to be changed at this stage of its
>product lifetime. The same was NOT stated with regard to the FT-847, as
>this product is in its infancy. It is impossible to state what future
>changes might be made to aa product in the first six months of its
>existence.
>
>For the record, the matter of the FT-847 CAT System is being
>investigated.
>
>Any other assertion is without basis in fact. Yaesu has shown itself to
>be responsive to the marketplace, and there are no plans to change this
>attitude.
>
>73,
>
>YAESU U.S.A.
>C. H. "Chip" Margelli, K7JA
>Manager, Engineering/R&D Department
>Amateur Products Division

Kevin,

With all due respect, sir, the message below to Richard and amsat-bb was
indeed entirely accurate. So I must take exception to your explanation of
the events.

>Thanks for reporting the news but that is not quite exactly what I said at
the
>Dallas show.  I stated that nothing would be done with the FT-736R since it
>is about to be phased out of the product line during the next few months
after 10 years on the market. No point
>in updating something when it won't be produced anymore.

I don't know why you think we were talking about the FT-736R. I went to the
Yaesu booth and asked a sales representative if they were the expert on the
FT-847. They said no, but said that you were the most knowledgeable about
the radio. When we introduced ourselves, I specifically told you that I
wanted to talk to you about the FT-847. You were wearing a short sleeve
burgundy Yaesu shirt that had "FT-847" embroidered on one of the sleeves.
We were standing there right in front of the FT-847 on display, poking
buttons and spinning dials as we conversed. (I think the description of the
details of your shirt should indicate the degree of accuracy with which I
recall our conversation!) Again, I don't know why you think we were talking
about the FT-736R.

My specific questions were stated to you twice during our conversation. I
said that it was my understanding that the FT-847 did not report frequency
via the CAT system. You confirmed this to be true. I went on to say that I
was surprised about this since this was a problem that was identified in
the FT-736R and yet it was not corrected in the FT-847. I asked why this
had happened and if there were any plans to fix that problem on the FT-847.
Your answers to me are accurately reflected in the message below to Richard
and amsat-bb.

>...  Please don't think that we
>just listen and do nothing.  Yaesu has not become the #1 Amateur radio
>company by not listening to customer feedback.

No, I do not at all think that Yaesu is the type of company to "listen and
do nothing"! In fact, that was my point entirely!!! Yaesu has received
feedback about this CAT frequency feedback problem on the FT-736R radio for
quite sometime now. It seems incomprehensible to me that the mistake was
repeated with Yaesu's very next generation of satellite capable radio, the
FT-847. I am still curious how this mistake got propagated from the FT-736R
to the FT-847. However, I (and everyone else in the satellite community) am
very happy to know that an attempt is being made to fix the problem. We
here in the American amateur satellite community are very appreciative of
Chip's efforts in this regard.

I was simply trying to answer a question put to amsat-bb by Richard. After
all, information dissemination is really what amsat-bb is for. This
question has been asked in this forum on several occasions in the past
months. I have never seen any of these questions answered in public by a
Yaesu official. So since I had just talked with you about the exact
subject, I judged it to be appropriate to relate your answer to him. I did
so with as much accuracy as possible. It is unfortunate that you apparently
did not answer the specific questions that were put to you at Ham-Com.
Perhaps if Yaesu were to have publicly answered these types of questions on
amsat-bb about its newest satellite capable radio (FT-847) over the past
few months, this situation would not have occurred.

For the record, I own an FT-736R and have been very satisfied with it. It
only has one minor intermittent bug-aboo that has occurred due to lots of
use over the years. I also own an FT-530 dual band (70cm/2m) FM
handie-talkie. It was purchased for use on a high altitude balloon project
and has served well as a flight radio over several missions. We have been
very pleased with its performance. As for the FT-847, I am a probable
eventual customer, even with this misunderstanding and even with the CAT
problem. I would like to utilize it for mobile HF, 6m and UHF/VHF
terrestrial FM/SSB and satellite operations from my truck. It is a perfect
radio for such an application. As anyone here locally can confirm, I have
been very much looking forward to the FT-847 for quite sometime now. So you
see that I have historically been and will continue to be a Yaesu supporter.

I strongly encourage you and/or Chip to maintain a presence on amsat-bb to
publicly field questions about your products. In my opinion, such a
presence should certainly result in a "win-win" situation. Please keep us
all up to date on the FT-847 news on amsat-bb. We'll enjoy reading about
it. Hope to catch you on P3D.

73,
Doug - KG5OA

At 11:11 PM 6/8/98 -0700, Kevin Karamanos wrote:
> [...]
>
>Technically, this feature does not preclude any mode of operation that I
>know of. It would be nice for logging programs and other software
>functions. But as I told the Yaesu sales rep, I was surprised that they
>had
>not gone ahead and fixed the problem in the FT-847 after they made the
>mistake in the FT-736R and had received negative feedback about it on
>that
>radio. This is especially true since it would probably take a good
>sofware
>engineer just a few days to fix the firmware. Then they could burn the
>new
>PROMs and send them to the folks that requested them. Not a difficult
>thing
>when you think about it.
>
>"Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat history" seems
>like an applicable quote.
>
>I don't think this is the answer that we were all hoping for, but it is
>the
>latest answer to your question that I can provide as of yesterday
>afternoon. Hope this is helpful.
>
>73
>Doug - KG5OA
>
>At 06:54 AM 6/7/98 -0700, Richard Parry wrote:
>>A few weeks ago I saw a few email messages that discussed the inabilityof
>>the FT-847 to provide a computer with its current frequency.  In other
>>words, a computer can control the FT-847 but the FT-847 cannot providethe
>>computer with the information that it DID actually tune to thatfrequency.
>>
>>I wonder if any FT-847 user has contacted Yeasu on this matter and was
>>there any possibility that there is a field upgrade planned or possible?
>>
>>thanks in advance,
>>

>>---------------
>>Richard Parry, P.E., W9IF - Qualcomm, Inc. Globalstar/Gateway RLGTS
>>Internet --> <http://people.qualcomm.com/rparry>
>>Intranet --> <http://web/~rparry/rgc  <-- RGC Test Home Page
>>---------------
>>

>Hi Doug,
>
>Thanks for reporting the news but that is not quite exactly what I said at
the
>Dallas show.  I stated that nothing would be done with the FT-736R since it
>is about to be phased out of the product line during the next few months
after 10 years on the market. No point
>in updating something when it won't be produced anymore.
>
>The FT-847 is enjoying excellent sales since it is the only radio of it's
>kind.  I agree that it would be nice to communicate (with a computer) a
>little better with this new rig and I am sure that that will be done in
>the future.  We expect the new FT-847 to be around for some time so your
>input was forwarded oversea's as promised.  Please don't think that we
>just listen and do nothing.  Yaesu has not become the #1 Amateur radio
>company by not listening to customer feedback.
>
>I will keep you posted when I get more news.... which should be soon.
Thanks for stopping by the YAESU booth
>and will see you on the radio.
>
>73's,
>Kevin - WD6DIH