Re: FT847 "stby" connector? What are you using?

Dave,

These Mini-Din plugs can be had from your local Radio
Shack dealer #276-1474,  page 124, 1998 catalog.  By the
way, this plug is now the packet standard.  My Kenwood 733A
had the same plug for packet, I just plugged it into the FT-847
with no change in wiring.  For the accessory plug, you will have
to clip off one the pins.   The Tuner plug comes with the Tuner.

If  you're not up to making a plug, see page 265 in the same
catalog, 6-foot extension cord for keyboard or mouse item
# 26-149, cost you $9, but you could also find a discarded
keyboard and cut the cable off....easy enough I think.

I've heard lots of complaints about the FT-847, and most of them
are minor like this one.  The radio cannot be all things to all
people.  Mine works great on the birds, HF and most everything
I've used it for, a very versital piece of equipment in my opinion.
I would buy it again if I had if to do over.  BTW I have serial #8C020003.
Which I assume the rig was made in 1998, Feb., serial #3.

Good luck with the plugs.

73, Bill, N4DH

At 02:54 PM 6/9/98 -0700, David Feldman wrote:
>Unpacked FT847 and was horrified to see that they provide *no* connectors
>to mate with the various mini-DIN-style (and as far as I can tell absolutely
>proprietary pattern) connectors. I need to get the "stby" signals out to
>an external connector to drive an amp for this weekend's contest. A call
>to the local dealer resulted in "haven't seen those yet".
>
>I'm beginning to believe that Yaesu really does have rocks between the ears.
>
>PS My JA friend tells me that recent production FT847 can indeed read
>vfo settings thru the CAT port; I have not tried it but supposedly my
>unit's serial number (8G052xxx) is so-equipped). This is supposed to be
>a later firmware version (remember the VX-1R firmware version fiasco???)
>
>73 Dave WB0GAZ dgf@netcom.com
>
>... and poop to yaesu on this connector problem ...

Bill Richarz <N4DH> ex WA4VAF
Internet:            wricharz@charlotte.infi.net
Packet: N4DH@W4BFB.#CLT.NC.USA.NA
10035 Little Creek Rd.
Charlotte, NC 28227          Phone: (704) 545-9368
Packet:       N4DH@W4BFB.#CLT.NC.USA.NA
HomePage: http://www.charlotte.infi.net/~wricharz
Alternate Email:    n4dh@juno.com