Techs and Mode A

Aloha

Your radio emissions, at 2M are what counts here. Since you are legally
operating in the 2M realm, the fact that the satellite transponder re-emits
your signal in the General+ section of the band has nothing to do with you.

It is, in a sense, a cross band repeater. The Amateur Satellite service is
slightly different than the Amateur Radio Service, and this operation is
entirely legal.

Here's a hypothetical for you... you transmit at 145.900 - both RS10 and
FO20 are over your horizon, your signal is coming down on both satellites,
not to mention interfering with a QSO on AO10 :-)

Check Part 97.207 (a,d,e) an 97.209 (a)

from the ARRL "The FCC Rule Book" book

"Earth Stations:
The FCC defines an Earth station as "an amateur station located on, or
within 50km of, the Earth's surface intended for communications with space
stations or with other Earth stations by means of one or more objects in
space" [97.3(a)(14)]. Any radio amateur can be the control operator on an
Earth station, subject to the limitations of his license class
[97.209(a)]."

Thus, if you are legal on 2M, you can be the control operator of an Earth
Station that is intended to communicate with Space stations or other Earth
stations via satellite(s)

Now, if you attempt to use the 15M uplink on RS12, you better be a novice
sneaking through the robot, or Advanced/Extra in the normal passband.

73 and aloha - ted - nh6yk

Robert Smith <kb2rxn@sprynet.com> said;

>HI, I'm new to this satellite game too.  I have two things to add to this
>particular discussion.  First, you don't need an advanced or extra for that
>portion of 10m, you only need general or above.  Second seeing how you need
>general or higher to operate on 29 MHz, how can we get away with using RS-12.
>It's ok for a tech or tech plus to use a cross band repeater as long as the
>repeater's trustee is of a higher class, but a satellite is not a repeater,
>therefore you must conform to your own operating privileges.  This is how
>I read
>the rule for not operating outside your own privileges.  If anyone can
>point me to
>the page that states otherwise, please, I'm open to learning.  I too would
>like to
>operate RS-12 without violating my license class.
>
>Bert McClellan wrote:
>
>> Bruce Paige wrote:
>>
>> > why upgrade your license? of course for hf that is a great idea. but
>> > you can use all the satellites up there right now except for rs-12
>> > which requires either an advanced or extra license.
>> > 73...bruce
>>
>> Hi Bruce,
>>
>> Bad advice on RS-12. No special licence required to RECEIVE on 10 mtr.  A tec
>> can upload on 2 mtr and receive on 10 mtr as RS-12 can be worked.
>>
>> Bert     N7TKO
>> Gold Bar, WA

Last note - Yes, RS12 is in Mode KA - I worked a guy in California
yesterday, I was Mode K, he was Mode A :-)

Pearl City High School Science       ted Brattstrom  -- Chemistry & Technology
            Pearl City High School Amateur Radio Club - WH6CVT
                for a glimpse at us: http://165.248.121.94
                                     Aloha

AMSAT Top AMSAT Home